Wednesday, 23 December 2009

Christmas Shopping & Schumacher Comeback

On account of my parents having jobs and nobody in my household really wanting to do any shopping on Christmas Eve, I was given the task of doing all the Christmas shopping today. It was complete shit.




Now, I'll be honest, I'm not shopping's biggest fan at the best of times. It's not so bad if I've got some music to listen to, but I still find it dull and I find it an absolute pain in the arse at University to have to do it. Shopping for electronics is about the only aspect that I enjoy. Food shopping in particular I despise. I worked at a supermarket for six months, and it was bad enough having to spend time in them when I was being paid for it. Everyone is so fucking slow and clueless. People should make a list, get said stuff on the list quickly and efficiently, and leave. Not spend all fucking day wandering around the store aimlessly holding up everyone.

All the shopping I had to do today was food, and the supermarket was completely fucking rammed. Slow people, old people everywhere. Some fucking old fart in front of me who was using the hand-baskets only aisle when he had a trolley full of stuff. In fairness, I had an overflowing basket of stuff and probably should have had a trolley, but at least it was in a hand-basket. I was conforming to the rules of the aisle. It's not like I was just using two hand-baskets, because I do think that might be pushing it a little bit.

What made shopping today extra shit was all the snow everywhere. It already would have been a pain in the arse to lug about as much food as I could carry back home, but it was even worse when the pavements were absolutely covered with hard snow and ice. It needs to rain or something to soften it all up, because walking back was hellish. I managed to get home without falling over, but I was slipping all over the place, and it's fucking hard to balance when you've got a few kilos of groceries in each hand. It also took me forever to get back, because I was having to walk at about half my normal pace. Took me over an hour and a half just to buy all the crap for Christmas Dinner tomorrow.

*   *   *

The biggest piece of news for me today was the announcement of Michael Schumacher returning to F1 with Mercedes. Love him or hate him (personally, as a Ferrari driver, I went with the latter), he holds more world titles in the sport than any other driver. Regardless of various safety improvements that older champions didn't have the luxury of, that's still not a record you can hold without having some significant talent. It remains to be seen if he's "still got it", but I'm very much looking forward to seeing him on the grid again.

It's just under three months (or 80 days, or 11 weeks) until the start of the new Formula 1 season, and while the cars are still a complete mystery in terms of performance, the team line ups look impressive. I'm especially anticipating the battle between the all-British McLaren team and the all-German Mercedes team. It'll be an exciting battle, and with Red Bull still keeping last year's line-up (I think Sebastian Vettel is one of the best drivers on the grid), it could be an extremely exciting three-way battle between the teams if their cars are all up to standard. Obviously I'll be rooting for Jensen and Lewis with McLaren, but I'm very much looking forward to the competition.

Plus there's a larger grid, which should result in more action, and the points system looks a little better this year for providing balance to the people who are continually on the podium, rather than just continually in the points. Instead of 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for the top 8 drivers, it's now 25, 20, 15, 10, 8, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1 for the top 10. I'm not sure why the 5 is a 5, and not a 4, because that would make more sense to the spacing of the points, but that's what the BBC says it is. Anyway, it brings it closer to the sort of points system that most other motorsports have, and it puts a lot of emphasis on winning regularly, rather than merely finishing high up, without Bernie Ecclestone's retarded suggestion for a medal system.

I'm sure the media will be saying it as they do every year, but I think it could be one of the closest title races in a while, with quite a few drivers in the hunt at the end of the season. Hopefully the excitement will carry through onto the track a little bit more as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment