This post is basically to just go into a bit of detail that we're not going to bother cluttering up the main site with, but some people might like to know.
So firstly, an announcement of shows to be dropped:
- Eden of the East: King of Eden
- Ookami Kakushi
I'd like to apologise to anyone who has specifically been waiting for our releases for these shows, because frankly you guys are the leechers that we probably actually give a shit about. It's the main reason I really hate shows being dropped this late on. Sure, most people don't care any more because they've switched to another group, but the people who do care have invested a fair bit of waiting into our releases, which is why it's worse that we've let these people down.
As I've said before, I think it's at least better that we announce shows as dropped rather than let people wait further for releases that are indefinitely postponed and might never happen, but still, sorry.
The first thing that has to be said is basically that this all stems from quite a few seasons ago, when we massively overstretched ourselves, and when we had people suggesting shows they just got teams dedicated for them, rather than someone pointing out that we were probably doing too many. Or people did point that out, and we were just like NAH WE CAN HANDLE IT, IT'LL BE FINE.
We probably did actually have the people to do the shows. The problem was they weren't all Frostii people. We drafted in translators and a few other people to do roles that we couldn't fill, which was probably the first massive mistake. If you can't fill roles within the group, then you're either understaffed or you're doing too many shows, which basically amount to the exact same thing anyway.
The problem with drafting in people from outside is that they're horribly unreliable. They're not proper members of the group, they're usually only know one or two people within the group, and as a result they're a fucking pain in the ass to try and contact if they disappear, because the majority of the staff have no fucking idea who they are. Plus they're not proper Frostii staff, so have far less commitment to the group and are far more likely to just disappear for whatever reason, or get bored and decide they don't want to do it any more. They're also quite usually working for other groups as well, which adds extra complication because half the time they're busy doing shit that isn't Frostii shit.
Which is basically what happened. We had the resources to start with by getting non-staff people, those non-staff people fucked off, and then we were massively stretching ourselves to try and keep everything under control with the remaining staff we had. Sylf ended up going from no shows to about four, just because we have no other translator to do them and he didn't want to drop them. Except Sylf is mostly trying to ease himself out of translating shows, so they've ended up getting dropped anyway because he doesn't have the time/motivation to do them any more.
I don't blame any of the guys we drafted in for the fact that things went tits-up, it was more the fault of the group as a whole for letting things get out of hand, the final result basically being a whole shitload of stalled released and ultimately a load of dropped series.
Durarara!! has gone because the team is busy with K-On, and have no motivation for it because it's so far behind. It's also being released by Enigma Collective. I've got no idea if they're any good personally, but I've read comments that their quality is Frostii-level for the show, and they seem the best alternative.
Eden of the East has dropped because it was hugely stalled, it's licensed by Funimation and then the final straw on the camel's back was a server failure a few weeks ago. We have most of the shows backed up by the people who are working on them, but this isn't the case for Eden, so we've lost pretty much everything we'd done so far and it's being axed. Even if we had the stuff it probably wasn't going to be released for another several months anyway.
Ookami Kakushi has been dropped because it's stalled hugely waiting for Sylf to be free to translate the remaining episodes, which isn't going to happen any time soon. Plus it's a pretty crap show anyway.
So enough doom and gloom. One upside is that we can fairly easily promise that no more stuff will be dropped. This is mostly because there's not much left to drop. The only exception is maybe Rainbow because our (drafted-in) translator hasn't done anything in ages. Probably because he's busy with gg and CoalGuys.
So, SHOWS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN DROPPED
- Winter Sonata - I don't work on this project, but it got un-stalled last night because we replaced the editor that's been holding it up so far. It should get going again with releases fairly soon
- K-On!! - We're barely even behind with it, never has a chance of getting dropped :P
- Musashi movie - This should hopefully be released before the end of September. I'll see to it personally because I'm doing the typesetting and it's the only thing left to do. It's basically waiting for me to finish my work experience placement next week and then I'll have the free time to get cracking on it.
- Rainbow - Isn't dropped, but is stalled. Might want a new translator if things don't pick up, and could still be dropped.
- Daa! Daa! Daa! - It's going slow as hell but it'll get sorted once we get around to properly organising things, and getting staff on it who are actually going to work on it.
- Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ - So, so stalled, but it'll get done. Again, it probably just needs a staff reshuffle. If we were really going to drop it we'd have done it literally years ago.
- Kimi ni Todoke - This has been on the brink of being dropped for about 8 months now, but I'm fairly sure the current staff are committed to finishing it, even if it's really slow. Another "If we were going to drop it, we'd probably have done it already" show.
And I'm fairly sure that's it. So really, apologies to anyone who actually still gave a crap about the shows we've dropped. I'm fairly sure the group has at least learned the lessons from this whole fiasco, and it shouldn't happen again.
As another thing, Frostii are currently looking for a new translator. If anyone who reads this is interested, then either leave a comment, ask in the group channel or PM myself (Rosti) or probably Sylf on irc.Rizon.net. Again, there'll be a proper post about this on the main site feed, it's just being sorted out currently.